Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The First Step on a Long Journey...

Sometime around my eleventh birthday, right when reading became a big and important part of my life, I began to fantasise about writing my very own novel. For years I did nothing, more than a decade in fact. Then, one day while I was wasting time at a friends place, she started to talk about something called NaNoWriMo, and my writing life was changed forever. So in 2006, I signed up for the challenge, and typed away, managing to complete my first ever full length manuscript before the end of November.

Since then however it has sat in the bottom draw of my desk covered in the random scrawling that I create when my brain to outside world filter switches off. My wife says that it has potential, and with a bit of work would make for a great novel. I on the other hand, am particularly underwhelmed.

But, it is still one of my life goals to have a novel published, and I don't mean self published either. Something in me just won't accept that as a solution, if it wasn't good enough to get picked up by a publishing house, then I wasn't good enough to be worthy of print. The only problem is, I'm notoriously lazy without a deadline. That is sort of what this is all about. I'm not creating a deadline per-say, but instead a sort of motivation. If I am for some reason obliged to write about what I'm doing to move towards getting a novel published, then I will be equally obliged to actually do something to move towards getting a novel published.

Well, it's an interesting theory, and to kick it off, for the entire month of November, where I plan on smashing out my next manuscript (participating in NaNoWriMo for the fifth year in a row), I will be making a post here daily, to update you on how things are going.

Well, for me I think it is onwards and upwards, if only I can just get moving. I'll just have to keep reminding myself: "no one ever got anywhere by standing still".

No comments:

Post a Comment